Tuesday, May 24, 2005

One Flew Over

On Monday May 16th I dreamed that I was in a psychiatric hospital on an inpatient unit. It was the same hospital I work in only I was a patient. The attending psychiatrist, a woman who I like, was gently strapping me down in restraints. I was whimpering because I was so frightened. She had to do it, and I wasn't upset with her, but I was very scared. I was strapped down on a table or bed with a restraint across my lap. Then my wrists were tied together and held up with a black leather strap. This put me in an uncomfortable reclining position. This, of course, is not how restraints are actually done. I felt panicked about spending the night in this position. I like to get up to go to the bathroom a lot, and I was terrified about having to be tied up all night. The wrist straps came loose but I knew I'd be checked on and that they'd be retied. This was a nightmare.

10 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, May 24, 2005, Blogger Jayla said...

I have fantasies of being an inpatient but the reality is that being an inpatient is not a vacation but a loss of control (pills, restraints, hard place to sleep, etc.). This was quite a vivid dream.

 
At 6:33 PM, May 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very frightening dream. Maybe you're transfering your conscious fears of loss of freedom and entrapment to your unconscious. I think that's a useful defense mechanism. B

 
At 6:33 PM, May 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

was I too clinical? and/or wrong? B

 
At 6:36 PM, May 24, 2005, Blogger sk8rn said...

This dream sounds very scary. I've never had any dreams like this. How terrifying that must have been for you. My nightmares are always of men breaking into my house. Have you had this particular nightmare before? Or was this a first?

 
At 7:28 PM, May 24, 2005, Blogger Jayla said...

sk8, I've never had this dream before and hopefully won't again. I do like this doctor though...I even had a crush on her and envied her gentle treatment of the patients in their beds (when I used to work with her)

 
At 7:29 PM, May 24, 2005, Blogger Jayla said...

B aka Mom, of course you are right, don't be silly

 
At 8:20 PM, May 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auntie says "isn't B smart!"

 
At 9:49 PM, May 24, 2005, Blogger M said...

Hospital dreams are always hard on me as well. Usually I am completely under 'their' power in those instances.
Your dreams makes me associate the event to feeling resolved to the situation. You said you accepted to restraints at the same time as you hated it. Something happening that you are allowing to happen whilst not entirely approving of it?
Wishing you clear and uplifting dreams!

 
At 12:12 PM, May 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I just thought of something. Is the ther. standing for your current ther., where you feel "pinned down" and obliged to disclose? (which is scary) B

 
At 1:42 AM, April 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it sounds like that you are not willing to let go of someone that you are very close to, that has taken very good care of you. But there is also the fear of maybe an ex. that you feel is always watching to make sure that you are living your life the way they think you should ( it could even be another male that is related to you that was always telling you to follow the rules or else).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home