Sunday, May 15, 2005

Cape Fear

I'm with my good friend Mia P, my brother David, and my mom. We are at home in Ohio together. David and my mom say that they are going to go out and walk the dogs. I ask how long that will take, and they say about two hours. It's in the morning, and I'd prefer to sleep in. However, I am concerned what Mia will think of me for being lazy, so I suggest that we go with them. We go to walk the dogs in a gymnasium with lots of flights of steps. We don't bring the dogs but that's not an issue. Then we go into a giant auditorium that has bleachers that surround an olympic sized pool. The water is cold and dark blue and rippling, very alluring. Suddenly I'm glad that I decided to go along. Why didn't anyone tell me about this pool? I look and David is wearing goggles with black rims, and he is frolicking in the pool. I wish they would have told me about the pool so that I could bring goggles. Still I'm enchanted with the water and go right in. A lot of people walk around in the pool with their clothes on. The pool is waist-deep. It's a festive atmosphere. There is a clown and a popcorn vendor. David and I decide to get our picture taken in old-fashioned clothes at a booth in the pool. A man working there suggests that David don a black cape. David says, "No thanks." He chooses a leather vest and cap and black leather pants. I put on an old-fashioned, Victorian corset. It has intricate detail to it and fits me perfectly. Suddenly my hair also looks old-fashioned in a hip way. We have a picture snapped of us, and then David walks off. I turn back to the camera, smile, and have a final picture taken of myself alone. I feel very good!

3 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, May 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"David walks off. I turn back to the camera and have a final picture taken of myself alone. I feel very good."

The stuff that dreams are made of. B

 
At 12:27 PM, May 17, 2005, Blogger sk8rn said...

I can definitely relate to the struggle to break out of the familiar - even to leave the house at times. And like your dream, in real life, I am almost always pleasantly surprised and glad I got out. The ending - with your taking the photo alone - is deeply beautiful!

 
At 7:14 PM, May 20, 2005, Blogger {illyria} said...

the images here are striking! you deserve a second, third, fourth read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home