Friday, August 20, 2004

Letting Every Child Speak

I deamed that I was running a children's therapy group, and it was a pretty big group. I gave a topic, like I usually do (e.g. "What do you do when you get angry?"), and the kids were taking turns answering. I don't remember what the topic was but the kids liked it, and they were excited when it was their turn to answer. It went very well. After the group, I talked to a woman who maybe owned the space where I was working or who worked with me, and she criticized how I did the group. She told me that I should have brought out the children's feelings more, a wider range of feelings, and more in-depth. She said that neither the children nor I should have been so happy and excited. I felt upset for a moment about her criticism but then I reminded myself that I was a good, experienced therapist. I said to her, "We had a limited amount of time, and I wanted every child who wanted to speak to have that opportunity. I set a good pace and made everyone feel comfortable." The clearest part of the dream was my assertion that every child who wanted to have the opportunity to express him/herself should.

4 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, August 20, 2004, Blogger Jayla said...

Perhaps I have some guilt about being happy. The children may represent me: happy and excited. In the dream I remember a little girl who was so excited about expressing herself. Lately thru my writing and swimming, I have felt excited about expressing myself. However, it feels different from what I have been taught: that life should be anxious and complicated.

 
At 8:41 AM, August 22, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on. You're the group. Right on.

 
At 2:26 PM, August 23, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe so, or could it be aluding to an early conflict between Superego and Id with Id prevailing and the material of the dream showing the equilibrium you experience when the so-harsh Superego quiets its sonorous roar long enough for your individuality of expression to emerge. Also, perhaps, the disquieting Superego may represent earlier values (parents, state, synagogue, etc) that are no longer synchronized with your Id-based values to give freedom of form and expression to each child's voice (including your own).
- RMF

 
At 11:40 PM, August 23, 2004, Blogger sk8rn said...

So... I'm hearing... (in the lay person's terms that I must use) You are the group of excited happy children; you are the facilitator ensuring your own self-expression; and you are the critic who prevents you from remembering how experienced you are and thus makes you doubt yourself at times. But fortunately, your facilitator self is becoming more assertive and as a result you are expressing yourself more freely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home