Isn't this nice?
Sunday night I dreamed that my friend Sarah had moved into a cheap apartment on top of a mountain overlooking a lake or ocean. The apartment was small but the front of it faced over the mountain looking down on the water. And this was beautiful. The mountain and the water were a little shabby but still the waves were peaceful. There was a front porch with old rocking chairs. My dad was sitting in one of the rocking chairs, and I said to him, "Isn't this nice?" He agreed, but I knew that he wouldn't want me to live there. I knew this because people could walk up the mountain and get into the house. It was almost as if the front of the house had no walls, so that it was directly exposed to the nature. It was unsafe but delightful in its direct connection with nature.

4 Comments:
Sarah has always symbolized freedom to me, in regard to life, sexuality, and independence...a kind of wild abandon. She actually does live alone in a small apt. in an unsafe neighborhood directly across from Prospect Park. And she did consult my dad on the phone about locks.
I've been stressed at work, and it's been so long since I've been to a beach. In a way this feels like a fantasy. The apartment had the same type of refreshing minimalism that my dream in which I was in jail had (See Dec. 27, Jail House Rock dream).
In a broader sense, I think the dream related to a desire and fear to go against my father's wishes in terms of making myself happy and relaxed. He's always taught me that relaxing is dangerous.
Very interesting. I have to say, being in midterm week and having super-anxiety with panic attacks, this ideal of being free and connected to nature is all the more enticing at the moment. ;-) I don't know who taught me that relaxation was dangerous, but apparently, I must have picked that lesson up somewhere, too. If you unlearn it, please pass along the tips. :-)
Maybe my house is in "nature" but dangerous because not endorsed by dad? Or my ideas were considered dangerous by dad (they were). It occurred to me that with your fears of entrapment: you were once--as a 16 month old getting stitches in your lip (due to falling from a play horse in our driveway), you were wrapped tightly up to keep you still. You were hysterically scared. In the days after, you wrapped your dolls in seran wrap over and over saying, Tight, tight!) B
Hey Jenn -
This sounds like a place I actually would like to live. Hopefully this was a clairvoyant dream. Also I am flattered that I represent freedom to you. Also, you are an excellent dream analyzer. Sarah
Post a Comment
<< Home