Jail House Rock
I dreamed that Dave and Jan were living in a giant loft, and they didn't have a bed, just a sleeping bag, so I was going to buy them a bed. Then later in the night I dreamed that I moved into a jail cell with one of my patients, D, a girl who I have seen for therapy for several years. The jail cell was nice, very simple. It had bars but they looked outside instead of into a jail hallway. The cell was clean and neat, with a basic bed for each of us. We could also come and go from the jail cell. This was going to be an experiment, either for research about children or to help D, or both. I slept very well in my jail cell bed. I loved how it felt to be removed from my life. I felt less anxious, and I'm crazy about D. She is delightful. I thought about how if I had a daughter I would like to name her after D. I thought about how D has an odd name but that I didn't care. I still would like to name a child after D. D and I had to live a very regimented life in the jail cell. We wore a set of keys around our ankles. We had to fill out point sheets, like I do for the kids at work, about ourselves every hour. D, who is compulsive, took to the routine like a fish in water. Hope giggled and said to me, "This works for her!"

4 Comments:
Dave and Jan were living in a loft that was as big as a high school gymnasium (in my dream, that is). It reminds me of my envy of how they travel, like the big loft is how free they are. The bed being gone reminds me of how they save money in other ways, and again how they are free, not rooted down.
On my most recent day at work I had a celebration for D's birthday. I invited the other kids from our small group for sweet children with major social issues: anxiety, being teased, bizarre social etiquette, etc. No one could come because of the holidays, but D and I had a great time anyway. I bought a bunch of treats from a bakery and had set them all out. D was thrilled with this. She loves the word "greedy" (she likes to repeat certain words and phrases over and over), and kept laughing and saying, "It's just us here, so we can be greedy!" I said, "Yes we can!" Then towards the end of our time together, she asked me to wrap everything up for her, in a very neat way, of course, and enjoyed saying to me, "I want to take everything home with me. It's so greedy, Ms. Jen, so greedy, right?" I said, "Yes, very greedy!" and she would laugh and clap her hands, because she loves to hear me say her favorite words and phrases. It was a fun party!
How nice of you to plan a celebration for her birthday. I'm curious - how old is D?
She's a young Asian teenager. She's extremely smart in many ways and yet socially very odd.
That jail cell sounds very nice! B
Post a Comment
<< Home