Sunday, October 17, 2004

Terry's Bat Mitzvah

Last night I dreamed that I was going to attend a bat mitzvah for Terry, a gay male/transgender friend from college. I was excited because it seemed like a beautiful thing to celebrate. There was going to be food served, but the way it had been arranged is that to get one's serving of food for the reception/after party, each person had a pre-paid (by Terry's family) choice to pick up at Zabar's (the heavenly gourmet grocery on the upper-west side for Jews and Jew-wannabes). I liked this idea a lot and went to Zabar's but the woman behind the counter was cold and told me that there was nothing left for me. I was pissed off and thought of making a scene. I imagined in my head what I would do and whether it would be worth it. Then I went to the bat mitzvah. To get to the bat mitzvah I had to walk down a dark set of steps and up another dark set of steps. It was somewhat scary.

Addendum: Oh, I just remembered, while doing my swim post, another very central part of the dream: I lost my silver swim bag (with my suit and hair gel, etc.) while I was underneath that dark tunnel going to the bat mitzvah. In the dream the silver bag had all my money and other stuff in it too. When I remembered that I lost my silver purse (that my mom got me in Paris actually), I thought of going back to get it, but negotiating myself into that tunnel seemed difficult, and I figured it was probably already stolen. I think that I checked the tunnel, and it was indeed gone, a great disappointment.

4 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, October 17, 2004, Blogger Jayla said...

Thoughts
1. That Zabar's idea is a pretty good idea...

2. There is that same repetitive dream of a cold woman who am I turning to to ask something and being rejected.

3. L, my current partner, was bat mitzvahed as an adult and she lives in Long Island.

4. I went to Zabar's yesterday to get some snacks because L was going to come over, but then I canceled due to being sick. I knew L likes Mazurka (?) cheese but the Cheese Guy smiled and said he didn't know no "Mazurka" cheese...such is life.

 
At 8:48 PM, October 17, 2004, Blogger Jayla said...

Losing the silver purse: 1) I lost my calendar on a bus to Pennsylvania for a wedding last weekend. 2) Slacking on swimming, losing my swim bag, due to being preoccupied with a new love interest, L 3) fear of losing myself to a new relationship.

 
At 3:00 PM, October 18, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cold cashier: withholding food=withholding love. Once you or I (can't remember which) had beautiful silver shoes, and lost them in a sandy place we used to call Meryll Streep's yard at Ocean Colony.

 
At 2:47 PM, October 23, 2004, Blogger sk8rn said...

I wonder if this cold theme hasn't been cracked yet. It seems its reoccurance may be a sign that you need to figure this thing out and work on it more. Whatever it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home