Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Con Artist

I dreamed that I was back at college, only it was also combined with my job now. There was a little coffee place where I had to go do my time card for work. I saw some people happily packing to go to a Renaissance Festival. I thought wistfully how it must be nice to have a focused need to travel, like a way of life. I thought about how I couldn't suddenly feel this way, that these people had been doing this for years and had developed a lifelong common interest and bond with one another. I went into the coffee place where I would do my time card, and I overheard a man say to his mother that they needed to get to Cincinnati but didn't have a way, as something had gone wrong. I had a car and was going to go home to Cincinnati myself from college where I was now, so I offered them a ride, and they happily accepted. I felt good that I could do something nice for these people. I quickly started to realize that the man was controlling. He was driving my car. And he was driving it very fast. Suddenly I realized that I didn't have my suitcase from college and that I hadn't punched out on my timecard from work. I told them that we needed to go back. The man was very aggravated even though we were not that far away. He seemed to be gay and had a strong affect. He also had a hot temper and a manic sensibility, and I started to think he probably had a personality disorder. Perhaps he was antisocial, a charmer at first, then mean, uncaring, and a con artist. I hoped for the best but I was feeling very wary. The mother was more passive and less conniving but she was going to follow whatever her son wanted. I could not count on her. I got the man to turn around to take me back to "78th and Broadway" where the coffee place was (even though it was in Yellow Springs, Ohio where I went to college). Instead, though, he dropped me off at the wrong place that looked similar. He said he would wait for me but he didn't, and he and the mother drove off, stealing my car. I was not surprised and thought to myself, oh, well, I tried to do something good for someone, it didn't work out, and now I just have to work with what I've got. It was night, and I was in rural Ohio. Somehow I found a bike, and I started riding it down a hill in complete darkness, looking for the coffee place. It was so scary. I was riding down a road and couldn't see in front of me at all. There was no light, and the road was surrounded on both sides by forests. I decided to call my parents to come get me, but they wouldn't come or were delayed. Again, I felt that I had to just deal with what I had, despite a sense of deep aloneness in the world. I was still completely lost. I was able to find an abandoned building to stay in, and there were also two young homeless children that I found myself taking care of as well. Then my mom finally did come, several years later, to pick me up in a very small car, and, with the children in the back seat with their stuff, there was barely room for my stuff which I had accumulated while on my own. I held it close to me, as I felt it was all I had, along with my children and their stuff, and did not want to let any of it go. I squeezed into the car so that we could go home. I kept looking back at the children to make sure that they were alright. I had a tentative feeling that we would all make it.

7 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, December 13, 2009, Blogger Jayla said...

I think most of this dream is about moving. I don't usually have frequent vivid dreams, but since we've had the plan to move, they've started happening.

I think that the Renaissance festival part of the dream is about how I feel like others frequently move and have no problems and I feel alone with my anxiety about it, and perhaps my sense of incompetence and otherness.

The mother and son who steal my car would be my own mother and my brother, Dave. David is always fast and on the go, traveling with my mother, and I can never keep up with them. Also, my mother was passive with my father and always has that type of presence in my dreams.

The feeling of being alone in the world seems to take me back to my parents divorce and the rape and feeling like I had no one. During that time period, I started dreaming that I had children to take care of, and I think those children are my younger selves, my baggage.

My mom coming to pick me up perhaps relates to how my mom and I were eventually able to reconnect after the divorce and have a new relationship where I could count on her, and she was more independent and less passive. I also think my mom and BB are very similar (I've always thought that), and so my mom coming to take me home would be BB coming to take me to my new home.

The con artist might also relate to the fact that a swarthy con artist is coming over to see the apartment today, and I feel pushed into this by BB (who wants to be nice). It's a peripheral person in our BF community (Butch/Femme) who wants to charge a finder's fee to a friend that he'd like to move into the apartment. It's all very sketchy, and I hate having anyone over, especially someone that we sort of know, especially when the apartment is in such disarray with moving.

 
At 9:10 AM, December 13, 2009, Blogger Jayla said...

Update: The unsavory apartment visit has been cancelled by BB. What a relief.

 
At 9:40 AM, December 13, 2009, Blogger Cathy K. said...

I am really happy the questionable visit has been canceled. This dream really kicks up a lot of stuff for me, and I totally admire your ability to remember and interpret your dreams. I am so glad that you and your children manage to fit all your stuff in the small car, and head off to your new home. There, you'll have room enough and love enough to sort through all of the stuff you bring with your incredible, intelligent, giving and loving self. I shall be focusing attention toward a really deserving and lovely person who will simply wish to move into the place you're in now. Hugs and love, always.

 
At 10:12 AM, December 13, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incredible dream, love BB for canceling the shady character. Love you. Maybe the two children are some selves of you that you do not want to lose, and changing locations engenders anxiety (for EVERYONE) that there won't be a "place for my stuff" as George Carlin pointed out. I'll help you ANYTIME, and we'll have a wonderful time here, at your new digs, or elsewhere in the world. I love you and BB. B

 
At 10:35 AM, December 13, 2009, Blogger Jayla said...

Thanks, Cathy and Mom, for the comments. I have a new thought that the con artist is BB and that I'm half the passive mother and half the girl who has to run back for her stuff.

 
At 1:49 PM, December 13, 2009, Blogger RMF said...

Clearly this is a transference dream about Joe!

"The man was very aggravated . . . He seemed to be gay . . . He also had a hot temper and a manic sensibility, and I started to think he probably had a personality disorder. Perhaps he was antisocial, a charmer at first, then mean, uncaring, and a con artist."

 
At 2:00 PM, December 13, 2009, Blogger pf_flyer said...

Nothing left for me to analyze! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home